13 Jun SCHOOL HEALTH
Fostering School Health-Reform
Our children spend a lot of time at school which plays a major role on their overall health and wellness. Educational institutions are accountable to teach children & their parents about health, foster healthy routines & maintain lifestyle conducive for their development.
To curtail the risk of contagious diseases, they must meet certain criterion that encourages good hygiene among students & members of the institution which includes:
1. Creating a healthy and safe learning atmosphere
- Safe sanitation, water supply and hand washing facilities
- Proper Hygienic practice of children and staff
- Sound management to keep the facilities in proper working and sanitized condition.
2. Promoting Personal Hygiene
- School aged children are very active; hence they are more susceptible to different illnesses through the collected sweats, stains & germs around them. So proper hand washing, oral care, hair care, nail care, wound care & personal care are essential to promote good health & avoid serious complications. Bad personal hygiene can directly affect the children’s speech, self-confidence & overall health.
3. Link Coordination with Parents
- Children should not only have a safe & sound environment, but a home & community that promotes healthy lifestyle & disciplined living. Public and Private schools should also have a comprehensive child care programs to ensure prevention & treatment of various diseases.
- Recommended immunization should also be up-to date to prevent the virus from spreading. It is the role of the Healthcare provider to inform the parents when their child manifest signs of mild diseases, such as cold or flu.
- Depending on the circumstance, the cared patient can temporarily stay at the school clinic to provide first aid treatment and keep them comfortable. Parents should provide updated contact information to the school for easier communication.